6.20.2012

Several days of cool, then another, now, of wind and heat and dust.

I've begun my monthly greenapple fast, just Granny Smiths and bottled water, with black coffee in the morning to fend off withdrawal headaches. This first day is challenging mostly because I have only four apples, but two of them are large, and as of now (3:07 p.m.) I still have two waiting. I will allow myself today, as last time on Day 1, a beverage (right about now) of molasses stirred into hot water, to ease the sugar jones.

I wasted yesterday from 10 in the morning until quite late in the evening dealing with a techno-crisis that turned out to be no crisis at all. My iPhone suddenly was "unable to join" the house's wi-fi signal, and also refused to recognize my email. After hours spent on Skip's cellphone talking to three clueless tech-support persons in succession, I ended up wiping and reformatting and restoring the unit's contents - 108 apps, 259 songs, hundreds of books, etc - which is a criminally slow procedure.

And ultimately unnecessary. All I had needed to do was reset the wi-fi router and change my email password. Which I figured out once the reformatting was already underway.

The upshot is that I lost a day of work, so have had to cancel my Wednesday visit with friendKathleen to make up for it.

I spent most of this very hungry day burrowed into Nicosia's Kerouac biography and Janet Frame's autobiography: Jack descends into suicidal alcoholism while Janet, at last diagnosed as sane-all-along, embraces her calling and finally earns literary fame.

And then of course I've scribbled some - written a letter to artguyJim down in Yolo (who gave me this trailer) and then faced the terror of My Own Work, which gradually becomes less and less terrifying. I have a title for the overall opus, and names for nine of its parts (with a tenth and eleventh TK). Part 3 is completed already, and Part 1 virtually so, requiring only the gathering and consolidation of a series of sort of hallucinatory early-childhood bits from an old blog.

Husband and brother are doing very well and so are the pet people.

I'm pretty sure it's time for that molasses now.

No comments:

Post a Comment