9.11.2012

4 a.m.

I
I wonder whether yoga
might save my hip.
The month's money's gone already.
Our new dentist got it
just for his howdy-do.

Every night I wake up earlier
in the morning, from the pain.

Why does switching the light on
ease the pain? I wonder.

I never thought I'd get so old so quick.

II
On eleven September
the morning sky
remained black
at five-twenty-five.

Outside
lowdwindle wanemoon
blazed like a razor
against the black

and painlaser stars.

I meant to sleep
but instead woke early
not even the tips
of the fringes
of dreams retreating,

only my bones
grinding away
when I wasn't aware.

III
These pets believe that
because I'm up
it must be time for breakfast

and now the lightbulb's
alerted the cagebirds too.

If I give in now
they'll only be famished again
by nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment